Ranscombe House is a Grade II listed period farmhouse situated at the foot of Mount Caburn. We are 5 minutes drive from Glyndebourne Opera House, 5 minutes drive from the historic county town of Lewes, and in between the coastal towns of Eastbourne and Brighton, the ferry port of Newhaven is also just 15 minutes drive away. Our newly refurbished rooms are large, light and airy with beautiful views.
Enjoy a locally sourced cooked breakfast in our sunny breakfast room, relax in our guest lounge, or enjoy the lovely views from our garden.
From recent surveyors we believe the original timber framed manor house was built in the mid 15th century.
Evidence within the house also indicated the earliest part of the house is the ground floor reception room and corresponding bedroom above on the west of the house, now known as the Kingston Room.
In 1543 Thomas Cranmer, the Archbishop of Canterbury granted of the manor to Sir John Gage, it is likely that the house was somewhat aggrandised and altered to reflect the change in status of the manor and this process was continued to the present day.